Friday, January 18, 2013

Chapter 12: TELLY

Chapter 12

 

TELLY

 

Euma, Telly and Otis sat on the floor of the garden shed.  Telly rested his head on his father's shoulder.
 

"What are you doing out here, barefoot, in your pajamas, my son?"  Otis knew his autistic son could not answer such a complex question.  He glanced at Euma for the answer.
 

"It is a bad story.  Telly should not have to hear such stories."  Euma said gravely.
 

"Take Telly to the house.  Tell no one that I am here.  Then return and tell me everything that you know."
 

"I cannot do that."  Euma got up and filled a watering can.
 

"What do you mean?"
   

"Telly!  How would you like to water those fancy flowers back there on the table?"  Euma knew Telly could not resist pouring water.  Pouring was one of Telly's favorite past times.
  

Telly jumped up and happily took the watering can and darted to the rear of the shed where the potting table stood.  He leaned so he could watch the water pour from the spout.
 

"They tried to murder Telly and make it look like an accident.  Melanie thinks Telly is dead.  She told your wife he is in bed sleeping."  Euma sat next to Otis again and whispered in his ear.
 

"Give me your phone!"  Otis cried.
 

"She doesn't answer her cell phone, yet you can see her through the kitchen window.  When I  phone the house phone, that Melanie answers."  Euma handed Otis his phone with twitter displaying an " #OtisSighting " photo someone had taken of Otis earlier that day on the pier.  Otis was barefoot, wearing the tux and holding their puppy, Polutropos.
 

"I think your wife might know you are back in town.  I was trying to call her to get her out of the house.  If I tell the police first, Antonio and Melanie might harm her or take her hostage."
 

"You are very wise, my friend."  Otis held back the rage that flared inside him.  "Tell me what happened.  Then I will go inside and get Penny.  You'll stay here and guard my son."
 

"I saw Melanie take Telly by the hand to the edge of the property.  I followed them.  She opened the safety fence and took him out in the tall grass down by the wooden staircase that broke during the last earthquake. She told him that the warning sign said that you were on the beach below waiting for him."  Euma's voice cracked as he tried to continue speaking, "I was only here because I forgot to turn off the automatic sprinkler so the poetry party guests would not get wet.  If I had not forgotten...."  Euma began to cry and could not finish the sentence.
 

Otis and Euma wept, overcome by what had almost happened to Telly.

- To Be Continued -


No comments:

Post a Comment